Rumba Module 1
Introduction to Spanish Flamenco Rumba
Sample video extract
The Spanish rumba is a fantastic rhythm to learn. Like most rock and pop, it has 4 beats per bar, which makes it a bit easier than some of the other rhythms you will find on this site - and so is an ideal place for beginners to start.
It is also a great rhythm to learn for jamming with friends, playing along to music you might already have, for playing in drum circles etc. At the same time it has a distinctly Latin flavour!
In this module, you will learn:
- three different approaches to understanding flamenco rumba
- three different flamenco rumba patterns on the cajon
- how to play a short flamenco rumba sequence
- technique for playing rumba on the cajon
- background to rumba
- Instructional Video with step by step demonstration of rhythms and techniques being taught (12 minutes)
- Additional video with nine exercises designed to systematically build up your ability and skills as you play along (12 minutes)
- Written notes guiding you through the module including notation of all rhythms and exercises, background to rumba, glossary and study plan
- Clear explanations using visual auditory and kinaesthetic approaches to learning
- HD (High Definition) video with close ups and split screens so you can easily see correct technique
Material included in this module is equivalent to approximately three introductory level classes, or two lower intermediate classes.
Claudia lived in Spain for five years studying percussion with many cajon players including Isaac
Figueras (Chiquelo, Diego Carrasco) and Juan Flores (Duquende, Manuel Soto). She then moved to Ireland to
play and record with Mexican guitar duo, Rodrigo y Gabriela, and went on to work with other artists
including folk legend Luka Bloom. For the next three years she performed in many parts of Europe including
Holland, Czech Republic, Denmark, Ireland and Spain. She also taught cajon and drums at the Irish Drum
Academy and Waltons School of Music. She now lives in Sydney and performs with various groups, and teaches
percussion for the Department of Education and Training.
Find out more about Claudia.
"Very inspiring teaching Thank you for your talent and energy. A great introduction to the cajon." Nat Slect, Flamenco DancerRead more testimonials